OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
We, the Alabama Environmental Youth Council (AEYC), act as ambassadors to engage youth in
projects and volunteerism that promote sustainability in our communities. Our focus is
caring for Alabama's natural environment for the present and future. Our future.
The AEYC is a group of 10-15 high school students from different areas of the state that
demonstrate leadership and determination to work together towards environmental
conservation through education and community service.
The youth council will directly plan and participate in various projects that will serve the
purpose of Alabama Environmental Council, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, to PRESERVE, PROTECT, AND PROMOTE A
CLEAN, HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT FOR A SUSTAINABLE ALABAMA.
*Application AND Parent Permission Form Due Date: October 25, 2019
*Phone Interviews to be scheduled by
& conducted November 7th - 18th
*Selected council members will be notified by
November 21, 2019
Roles & Responsibilities
1. Participate in a monthly video/phone calls with fellow AEYC members - At
these meetings the Youth Council and the Executive Director or a Junior Board liaison of AEC will make decisions regarding community environmental project(s) and strategy for effective promotion and awareness.
2. Participate in community project(s) and outreach efforts throughout the
3. Attend an Annual AEYC Summit (TBD)*
4. Serve as an avid AEC ambassador that works to help resolve both local and global environmental issues
5. Become a leader that will engage youth volunteerism and participation in
environmental service projects throughout your community
6. Effectively collaborate with other youth council members as well as the
Alabama Environmental Council to develop helpful strategies and programs
7. Demonstrate genuine enthusiasm when promoting environmental messages
2 and strive to help create a healthy and clean natural environment for Alabama.
1. Must be a high school student between the grades 9-12
2. Must be a resident of the state of Alabama
3. Have a passion for working towards environmental conservation and
4. Time, willingness, and ability to spend 5-15 hours per month on Youth Council work, including:
- Preparing for and participating in all virtual meetings projects we plan as a youth council for (y)our communities.
- Completing independent work between meetings, with support from AEC’s Jr. Board, Board of Directors and Staff.
- Attend an Annual AEYC Summit (date TBD)*
*AEYC members and their parents/guardians will plan together to create a schedule that will work for the majority.
About Your Alabama Environmental Council
Alabama Environmental Council (AEC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, was founded in 1967 as an environmental advocacy organization working to protect Alabama’s wilderness areas and achieved great success. In addition, the trailblazing organization helped start many recycling programs throughout the state beginning in 1973 and provided a community recycling center in the city of Birmingham.
Today the organization focuses on natural resource conservation as a vital part of protecting the natural environment for a greener, cleaner and healthier Alabama. They are deeply involved in collaborations with various like-minded organizations and AL communities to provide unique opportunities for recycling and disposal of household
Thank you for your interest in joining the Alabama Environmental Youth Council! We will be sending you the PDF version of the Application and Parent/Guardian Permission Form from our email address info@AEConline.org. If you do not receive it within 24 hours, be sure to check your spam box first and if you still can't find it, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know so we can ensure you receive it.
We look forward to learning more about you and your interests in protecting Alabama's natural environment!
-Your Alabama Environmental Council